Friday, September 18, 2009

compassion

"If you want others to be happy practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." - The Dalai Lama

I grew up in Rosemount, MN - which was a smaller community located near Apple Valley - in the middle of 4th grade my parents decided that we were going to move into the cities because not only would my parents be closer to work, but we would be able to attend a better school. I remember being so upset about leaving Rosemount. I cried for days, especially because I wouldn't get to finish out the year at Shannon Park (my elementary school). I told my teacher Mrs. Leroux and she explained to me that my new school would be great and that I would meet so many new people.

My last day of classes at Shannon Park I arrived to find my entire class had thrown me a surprise going away party - consisting of non latex balloons and cookies. What a nice treat! Towards the end of the day Mrs. Leroux pulled me aside. She gave me her e-mail and phone number and told me I could talk to her anytime I was struggling with the transition, or just had something exciting to share.

I maintained a relationship with Mrs. Leroux until high school. We wrote letters to each other via e-mail and she even came to dinner at my house once to catch up. She made a huge impact on my life just by reaching out to me. I will never forget her and what a truly compassionate person she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment