Thursday, September 24, 2009

authenticity

"What we're all striving for is authenticity, a spirit-to-spirit connection" - Oprah Winfrey

authenticity, according to dictionary.com, is defined as the quality of being authentic. (for the record I think it is against definition rules that you use the word you're trying to define in the definition). So, I personally define authenticity as being genuine in your actions.

how do you know where your limits are in expressing authenticity in the classroom? I believe that you can bring your own beliefs into the classroom but you shouldn't push those beliefs onto your students. I think it is important that your students know who you are as a person and believe that you're being "real." but I also think it is important that your students know that your classroom is a safe environment where all beliefs and ideas are welcome.

another question this idea about authenticity raises is can you really just be yourself in a classroom? this question has really puzzled me because I want to say, absolutely you can just be yourself. but can you really? in order to aid all children you may have to adapt - and does that mean you change who you are? or pretend to be something you're not? I'm not sure...but I do think that as long as you have the student's best interest at heart you are being genuine and authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment